friedEgg Touch differs from other basic charting tools in that it allows the user to interact with their data by directly manipulating a chart. This enables complex analysis, across many dimensions, in a few simple steps. Using the provided Automator actions, friedEgg Touch is easily integrated into an analysis workflow.
Take data from a simple table and assign the columns to a 3D chart. Then explore and analyse it directly in the chart, touching the bars and pie segments to reveal their content. Adjust the scale of each chart dimension, to group data within the bars and further simplify the chart. Drag filters across the chart to select ranges of bars, or select the items individually. Use the selected data in further analysis steps, applying different data columns to the 3D chart. Enhance the analysis by adjusting the format of the data and the layout of the chart. Finally create a report listing the selected data or export the chart image to a presentation.
Having created an Analysis, similar data tables can be analysed using the same formatting and filtering. This could, for example, assist with the regular weekly or monthly review of sales data, or any other table of data.
Use the Automator actions to embed friedEgg Touch in your analysis workflow. Load data from a spreadsheet to an analysis template, print a report with the selected data and then export the data to another spreadsheet and the chart image to a presentation.
- Charts can now be created with just three data dimensions (X, Y and Z) at any level, as the label dimension L is now optional. The data view, key panel, printed report and exported data are automatically configured to include the label if present, but ignore it when not available
- Changes in chart objects selected at one step are automatically reflected in subsequent steps
- QuickLook automatically displays a summary of the greatest valid step
- Open and Save panels default to previous directory used
- Reset All option to clear and return to start up view
- Updated many of the chart objects and images to high resolution, to look better on a Retina display
Increased reliability of the analysis process:
- An analysis is now always saved as a package
- The file containing the data table can be linked using a bookmark, which maintains the link even if the file is moved, or it can be copied into the package
- Analysis files created in earlier
- Support for multiple threads, to avoid seeing the beach ball
- Background data loading and saving
- Background printing and data extracts
- SQLite replaces binary file formats
- 64 Bit support
- ARC memory management
- Minimum system requirement is now 10.8, to support the use of bookmarks
- Updated all Automator actions and the Applescript dictionary to work with the Sandbox. The most significant change is the use of the files URL instead of its path.
- All input data tables must be CSV format (easily exported from Numbers or Excel), XML is no longer supported
- Improved gesture support with pinch to zoom, left/right to navigate the analysis steps, etc
- Improved creation of screenshots for steps, printing and export
- Simplified spotlight plugin, for searching for an analysis
- Updated help book to describe changed and enhanced features
- Various other minor enhancements